Monday, April 16, 2012

Life Modifications


Whoa boy, sometimes changes are the hardest things to take. I like to think I'm good at it, but I'm really not. I still have and mostly use the same yahoo! email account from 2002, and I resist every time they try to update it to the new version. I still hate my new facebook timeline. Whenever I have to switch to a new cell phone (sadly a somewhat common occurrence), I feel like a little part of me has died. At the same time, I have never lived in the same apartment for more than a year, I switch out shampoo brands every couple months or so, and I (fully intend to) donate a piece of clothes for every new one I buy. Because even though it hurts me, I know, deep down, change is good for me. Just ask Tupac.

Right now, I am switching rooms, but staying in the same apartment. I found myself looking at the bathroom my roommate and I currently share with an emotional pang this morning. After Friday, I will never again use that shower. But, this will be a good experience. I am moving to a much bigger room, and going through my stuff once again will probably result in a much needed purging of extraneous things (like that one ugly sweater I only wore one time in 2008).

The saddest part is that my other 3 roommates are moving on to bigger and better things in a house for the summer. Now that they are packing up their things and preparing to leave, I am realizing that this is a big change that will initially be very difficult. Last year I did not live in this apartment, but in an apartment literally 2 feet away. I am going to miss being a porch step or closer away. I am going to even miss my roommate's weird penchant for poached eggs, pickles, baby lotion, gnomes, and country music. I actually just got a little chocked up typing that.

Personally, I chose to stay, because I have grown happily accustomed to the ward I am in now. However, I know this has to be my last summer here. No, things will never be the same, but maybe they'll be better? Stagnation is always bad. There's a reason you're more likely to get Giardia in a lake than a running stream. Every new experience and change can make us into (hopefully) better people. As Barney said, make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other is gold. I don't even want to think about what it will be like to leave Provo for good at the end of the Summer. Good thing I'm not an emotional being who occasionally cries over battery commercials.