Thursday, January 2, 2014

Bucket List 2014

On New Year's Eve, I found myself in the backseat of the minivan with the rest of my family driving to the Bass Pro shop in Manteca to return a few camouflaged shirts gifted to us in the wrong size. As we were trapped for a good hour, my dad took this as an opportunity to have everyone list where they'd want their lives to be in one year. I wasn't in the best mood, so I begrudgingly thought of a couple snarky things like to "not get fired, and not fail out of school". Being the middle child, naturally we got to me last. I said my piece but my dad wasn't satisfied, unfortunately, he knows me too well. There were a few more items on my list.

Exactly one year ago I made a bucket list of things I wanted to do before the year was out. I accomplished many of those things, and made many improvements. What I found most fascinating was that almost everything from that list I actually accomplished was due to the actions and support of others. Yes, there were many difficult and sad things this last year, but I am on the right track. None of that time was a waste and I have no regrets.


So, here two days later (you're welcome dad) is my real list of goals for this next year.

1. Not Get Fired or Fail Out of School

This actually wasn't just my grumpy sarcasm. I really need to get these things accomplished. 

2. Go Scuba Diving

I've been Scuba certified since I was 12 years old. When I was younger I went on dives in all sorts of amazing places like Molokai, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii, the Bahamas, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, and Cancun. I haven't been since 2006. I don't need to be whisked off to some exotic location. I could even go in Utah. I just need to take the time, effort, and money and just do it. I love the water, and I love diving. It has been far, far too long.

3. See Jimmer Play for the Kings

I love Jimmer and I have loved the Sacramento Kings from birth. I slept in tents over night and waited for hours in the snow for tickets to wait for hours in the cold to see Jimmer play at BYU. But I have never seen Jimmer play for the Kings in person. I know the Kings are terrible and Jimmer never gets to play, but I have to see this happen before he's traded.

4. Read Through the Entire Book of Mormon in Spanish

I've done it in English, and once got as far as Alma 46 in Spanish. I tried listening to the audio version, but the guy that reads it has such a soothing dulcet voice that I'm always lulled into a deep slumber within minutes. If you don't know what this Book of Mormon thing is that I'm talking about, here ya go.

http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon?lang=eng

5. Find Mr. Right

2014, Baby!