Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Get By

This the title of the magnificent song rapped and produced by Talib Kweli, which spoke volumes to my angst-ridden 14 year old self when it was released in 2002. This give me the courage to press on, while facing nearly insurmountable odds just tryin to survive the vicious and perilous streets in the suburb of Carmichael. Somehow, I made it. Nearly 10 years later, I find this classic still has my back. Yes, Mr. Kweli, you understand the types of daily obstacles we can face. The grocery store running out of 2% milk (I'm sorry, but I think skim tastes like water), my freshly straightened hair resembling medusa after stepping into some rain sprinkles, burning my toast. This is merely a snippet of the degree of incredible trials I face on a given day. I know that Talib is critical to my daily survival. No amount of support from friends, family, or incredible life blessings could possibly surmount his empathetic crooning on how we just try to "get by".


If this song hasn't entered into your life yet, you need it to. Watch this video here if you haven't. (don't look up the normal version unless you want to hear a bit of cussing and several drug references). It will change you.