Thursday, September 22, 2011

Til I'm Gone


As I was home alone today again for over 13 hours, I had plenty of time for a dance party in my backyard. After punch-dancing out my boredom a good 45 minutes, I decided to plant. I worked on grounds over 3 years and so general gardening is something I now have a strange affinity for.

So, after planting some new flowers in my backyard, I was just sitting there, with the evening sun filtering through the oak leaves, and this little bird flew onto my shoulder. He didn't stay very long, but it was seriously the coolest thing. A little while ago, a friend told me this could happen if you stand really still, but I honestly thought he was full of it. I mean the little guy might have just chosen me because, with all the dirt and leaves I was covered in, I realistically looked and smelled like a plant. Regardless, I was so happy that happened, I came in and wrote this post about it.

Of course, this may very well be the highlight of one of the most uneventful weeks of my life. The most socializing I've done is with my parents, the guy that bags groceries at Raleys, Eleazar and his crew that mow our lawn every week, the mailman, and numerous old ladies in the Kaiser Permanente waiting room. I've learned more about rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, and diabetes than I'd ever want to know. I am still taking 10 credits of classes online, so I thought I'd be more busy being academic. Wrong. Apparently assignments only take a long time when you have things you'd rather be doing.

For now, the key to my happiness turns out to be a bit of Tinie Tempah and rudbeckia from OSH.